Skip to main content

Veterans Day 2024. . .

 Western front Stock Photos, Royalty Free Western front Images |  Depositphotos

This anniversary is more poignant than it has been previously, for some of us at least, here in the United States.  What have previous and current generations fought and died for?  Despite the fact that the ugly alternative has been staring us in the face for quite some time, despite the warnings from constitutional and legal scholars, despite the warnings of senior military leaders and government officials with firsthand knowledge, we have chosen yet again to turn our back on the weakest in society, on individual and human rights, on our history, and on our obligation to and productive collaboration with the rest of the world.  For that, I am truly heartbroken and sorry. 

-- Stokes

Comments

Neil said…
I think bewildered sadness will be a prevailing emotion for the next few years. But all things must pass and we have the best hobby in the world for when it gets too much.
Sean said…
Great regrets! It is another version of Brexit, with even more impact internationally. From a little island off wonderful Europe.
I just hope that things will not be get as bad as they might get. There are still some checks and balances and some good people in your government.

Not sure how keen I'll be to head south over the border to attend the wargame convention in Maine next year but that decision is months away.
Fitz-Badger said…
I share the emotions and concerns for the next few years, at least.

Best wishes to us all!

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!