Skip to main content

A Bridge to the Future?

An lovely alternate view that shows the Holsten Bridge, Holsten Gate, and the salt warehouses at left, which housed various retail clothing stores when I last visited with the Grand Duchess in 2009.

The Holsten Bridge, ca. 1800.

After several months away from hobby activities -- The spring and summer simply got away from me. -- I finally purchased a package of 10 small sheets of foamcore craftboard from our old friends at Amazon. The aim is to construct a bridge based on the old illustrations above, the Holsten Bridge across the River Trave into the old city center of Hansestadt Lübeck in northern Germany. Probably my favorite place in that country. . . although Bremen and Hamburg are close seconds. I've always felt very at home in these cities for some odd reason.

But I digress!  Let's talk model bridges.

I find that many commercially available model/toy bridges have too much extreme swoop, or arch to them, sitting like odd warts atop the table.  I understand why that is, of course, since typical wargame tables are completely flat, lacking, as they do, the depth and undulations of real life terrain. Sandtables anyone? In any case, I'll try to keep the planned structure fairly low key while preserving the impression of four or five arches underneath if possible. 

That might be easier said than done.  We'll have to see.  A simplified, preliminary build might be in order to check measurements and dimensions, in much the same way that model railroad hobbyists approach their scratch-built structures.

Materials will, in any case, consist primarily of the foamcore along with balsa and thin card as needed. Aiming for something in the neighborhood of 14-16" (maybe 18"), possibly in two or three sections, by 3-4" wide when finished. Should be an interesting project to get my feet back into the water so to speak.

Now, why a town bridge? Well, I have lately developed an itch for a solo refight of Sittangbad (at some point), and I believe that there was a bridge in need of demolition although I must consult the copy of Charge! over on the shelf to confirm that. I constructed a fanciful looking bridge many years ago, which looks like it might be at home in Prague given the steep roof pitch on the two towers at either end.  And while that was an interesting exercise in scratch-building back in the winter of 2006, it has never been wide enough for more than a footbridge. It worked when my early 1/72 plastics figures were still singly based, but multiple bases of 25-30mm, or 1/56-1/60 figures are simply too tall and wide for that early modelling effort.  

Hmm, might have to cobble together a small wharf too come to think of it since we're talking Sittangbad, but I'm getting ahead of myself.  Surprise, surprise.

No firm timeline on any of this as yet, you understand, since the fall looks like it will be very busy with work-related stuff, but ideally I would like to set up and play the game in December during the Christmas period. Of course, I'll invite the Young Master to join me, but, at almost 15, playing toy soldiers with Dad isn't cool anymore. You know how it is. It's all Flight Simulator, Minecraft, and, in his own words, "hot chicks" at the moment.  Hmm.  Gotta talk to him about that last bit though. 

By the way, Young Paul begins high school in less than three weeks!  Where does the time go?  It seems like just yesterday that I was handling his 11pm and 2am feedings, so the Grand Duchess could get some uninterrupted sleep.  A challenging first couple of months to say the least.  Whew!

-- Stokes

Comments

Rob said…
You are correct, there is a bridge that one side needs to destroy after salvaging as much of their supplies as possible. I refought Sittangbad with my SSMs, I was the attacker. I played a blinder, or so I thought, inflicting a big defeat on my opponent for little loss only to be put in my place when the bridge was blown up. I had totally lost sight of my objective and had spent far too much time crafting what I thought was a tactical masterclass. An object lesson in the primacy of the operational over the tactical.
PS my bridges are made from foamboard but functional rather than decorative - I'll see if I have some photos I can send.

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a

Keepin' an Eye on the World Going By My Window . .

'The Nap at the Palace' by Jose Triado Mayol N ot much in the way of hobby-related activity happening here in the Grand Duchy lately.  Sigh.  And no surprise there really since there are only so many hours in the day, only so much mental and physical energy to spare, and you sometimes simply just have to give in and know when to say, um, "When!"  A glass of wine and/or evening yoga by the hearth with the Grand Duchess (who has practiced for over 20 years), and then off into la-la land.  Zzzzzzzzz.   More immediately, I'm recovering, mentally speaking, from a grueling Friday in which I was involved with three (online) conference sessions, one right after the other, followed by a 90-minute meeting at the end of the day. Also virtual. My brain has been mush ever since, so an easy, completely unproductive Saturday watching intermittent snow fall outside (no accumulation however) and drinking coffee while the visiting handymen completed some repair work down her