Skip to main content

Delusions of Grandeur Perhaps?

 

Part of Peter Gilder's famed Waterloo set-up with the Chateau Hougoumont in the foreground.  An image familiar to many of you no doubt!

 

Apropos of nothing, it has been quite a while since I had a model soldier dream.  However, last night came very close in that I had a making-terrain-for-model-soldiers dream.  In said dream, I starred in the role of, if not the late Messrs. Peter Gilder and Ian Weekley, then at the very least a master terrain modeler.  

The layout wasn't Waterloo, but there were already some units -- It wasn't clear if these were my own, 18th century, Napoleonic, or another sub-period of the horse and musket era. -- scattered around the large tabletop, which had realistic and convincing undulation, buildings, and some copses already in place.  I was simply finishing things up on parts of the large board that were not quite done to my liking.  

Dusting with Woodland Scenics materials here and there you understand.  Spraying with fixative scenic cement.  Adding rough ground cover, a few tree stumps, wild shrubs, hedgerows, and minor water features.  Etc. etc.  As I worked in the dream, I was explaining my methods and approach to a small group assembled nearby in whatever room we occupied.  It wasn't my usual space here in Zum Stollenkeller.  That much I can report with a fair degree of certainty.

Regardless, I suppose this dream has come about as a result of the many model train layout how-to videos that I occasionally binge on via Youtube.  You can waste a startling amount of time doing that.  The various updates and how-to pieces are by mostly British hobbyists, but there are a few very talented Australian and U.S. modelers in the regular mix too.  And, oddly, an architect way up in New England along the Canadian border, who now and then shares a video of his work on conceptual models.  All fascinating stuff.  

So, although there are no games on the horizon this Christmas period due to domestic life (Trouble and strife anyone?), one can always think, or in this case dream, about setting things up across a large table and moving the lead around in more care-fee times.  Sigh.  

We are, however, planning a skiing trip to Lower Ontario just after Christmas and into the New Year.  Our destination is a premier Nordic skiing center called Stokely Creek Lodge.  The Grand Duchess and I are looking very forward to it.  Hopefully, the 14-year-old Young Master will join us on the trails for a day or two although the jury remains out on that.  He is a solidly intermediate skier by this time -- We've had Paul on skis since he was four. -- and he handles winding descents with aplomb on good days.  

In any case, I've got a few pairs of skis to wax, scrape, brush down, and polish up during the next week.  A happy, albeit alternate pursuit even if the toy soldiers mush remain safely in their plastic storage tubs this Christmas period.  There may also be some time to apply basic fleshtone and horseflesh to the first squadron of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers, which I base-coated last weekend.  Huzzah!

-- Stokes 

 

Not one of my photographs, but a royalty-free image from Pexels.com.  The nature and trails looked very like this, however, many years ago when I lived just outside of Trondheim, Norway where I learned how to ski.  Admittedly in a very clumsy way, but the breathtaking scenery as I made my way along various trails, which were illuminated until after 10pm each evening, made the occasional stumbles and falls worth it.  Still not an expert, but I'm better now.  Skiing at dusk and at night remain my favorite times of day to indulge, but I'll happily clip into the bindings and enjoy an outing anytime the opportunity and snow present themselves.  No idea if it is due to Neanderthal or Viking DNA somewhere in my genetic make-up, but I feel my absolute physical and mental best at the midwinter during a ski tour.  There is nothing quite like it.

 

Comments

David Morfitt said…
Now that's a dream worth having! :-) Hope you have a good Xmas and New Year despite not being able to get the troops out...

tradgardmastare said…
Toy soldier dreaming and a winter wonderland to come, what’s not to like?
pancerni said…
Goals are something to shoot for, even if you fall sort.
The background you showed explains in part the care you have when you set up in scenarios.

Enjoy the white stuff.
Matt said…
A premonition perhaps?
Chris Gregg said…
I'm very lucky to say that with my approach to terrain building I do tend to be able to live your dream a few times each year. Cheers Chris

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a