Skip to main content

Nearing the Finish with Batch #3. . .

 



Having a "No Day" this Saturday, as my late mother would have put it.  Just saying no to everyone, everything, and enjoying some me time.  What better way to do that than to continue brushwork on the current batch of 16 figures?  I thought you'd agree.

This time around, I tried taking pictures with my iPhone.  I think they are marginally better than those taken with my now venerable Sony Cybershot although I am not quite sure.  In any case, PixlrX still is not cooperating and refuses to open any of my images, so these are the raw pictures without any autofix, adjusting for brightness, or cropping.  

Still, they provide a reasonable idea of where things are at the moment.

Remaining tasks include the queues at the back as well as highlighting visible hair and curls at the temples, mustaches, and metallics (musket barrels and firelocks plus brass fittings, cartridge pouch badges, and the few visible buttons), plus the inevitable touch-ups.  And then I will be free to forge ahead to the final 13 officers, NCOs, and musicians plus the ol' mounted officer and horse before flags, glossing, and permanent basing.  

With the start of school on September 1st for yours truly, maybe we are looking at another month's work on the current unit?  We'll have to see, but I am eager to finish these, so The Young Master and I can return to his battalion of Prussian garrison infantry.  

I'd also like to tackle a couple of mounted generals or perhaps a couple of guns with crew in time for Young Paul's 12th birthday at the end of October, or Christmas if time becomes scarce in the meantime.  The latter is probably the more realistic view if we are honest.  

Beyond that, another squadron or two of cavalry followed another regiment of line infantry, this time an Austrian regiment with some wonderfully striped flags is the plan.  But we're getting ahead of ourselves here!  Quite a bit in the planned queue before that particular project takes shape.

-- Stokes

Comments

Wellington Man said…
Your endless patience with these enormous regiments always pays off spectacularly, Stokes. These are looking fantastic.
I try not to think too much about what's lined in the queue when I'm painting, but usually fail!
Best regards
WM
Matt said…
I do admire your "big battalions". They are coming along very nicely and I am very interested in your future plans. I have definitely developed a leaning towards the tricorne era of late but on a far more modest scale.

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a