Skip to main content

Our Christmas Game Concluded: A Sad End for Ol' Dad. . .

The conclusion of our Guilford Courthouse refight quickly went from bad to worse during the hour or so we played after lunch earlier this afternoon.  My gun crew promptly ran away after firing a final ineffective shot into the approaching Flickenhoffer Fusiliers of young General de Latte leaving theeir gun to be captured.  Their mounted officer suffered a less pleasant fate.

 

On my right flank during Turn Nine, The Young General's company of Croats basically wiped out my squadron of Bosniaks.  Clearly, my numerous six-sided dice do not like me.  I don't think I made a single saving throw during the final two turns of our game as General de Latte meted out gleeful punishment across the battlefield.  He takes real pleasure in my crummy saving throw rolls.


 Meanwhile on my left flank, the Irish Grenzers rout after retiring shaken at the end of Turn Seven and sitting out Turn Eight.  There ought to be a law.


 
The dastardly General de Latte gnashes his teeth, twirls his mustache, and celebrates yet  another victory.  He was quick to point out that he has won all three of our games since last January 1st!


As is so often the case, at least when I have faced The Young Master across the table this last year, our games are pretty slow going for the first four or five turns as we move our units into position and shake out the cobwebs.  By about Turn Six, however, things always seem to pick up considerably, reaching a rapid crescendo before too much longer.  Invariably, my troops suffer heavily before I can accomplish much with them, morale tests are failed, and the units disintegrate.  

Seeing the writing on the wall, I typically concede to preserve what is left of the armies at my disposal.  Not so with The Young Master, who is clearly cut from a different cloth when it comes to fighting a battle.  He is bold where I am (overly) cautious.  He clearly is blessed with the coveted coup d'oeil while I prefer to study the ground and consider various possibilities before committing troops.  Much to my detriment.  

Finally, Young Paul is not bothered by the thought of husbanding his troops and wagers all in massive frontal assaults, which, thus far, have served him well.  I, on the other hand, adopt more of a wait and see approach mindful that my forces are limited.  Suffice to say, my progeny is more Napoleonic in his approach to tabletop warfare than ol' Dad.

Our Christmas Week game, based on Guilford Courthouse 1781, was no different.  We played slightly over an hour today, and wrapped up our tabletop battle quickly.  

In my front line, my militia battalion on the right finally routed after taking considerable punishment yesterday (almost 60% casualties) and holding on as long as it could.  Over on the left flank, my battalion of O'Malley's Irish Grenzers, who retired yesterday at the end of Turn Seven to collect themselves following a sound thrashing mid-game, gave up the ghost altogether.  They failed another morale test at the end of Turn Eigth, routing and basically running as fast as they could for the nearest table edge.

And still General de Latte's Zichenauer hordes pressed forward in Turn Nine.  His company of Croats soon scored an unprecedented 11 hits (at long range mind you) on my remaining Bosniaks who were posted on my far right.  Amazingly, I was unable to make a single save, and the last four figures took off at the gallop for the table edge beyond once the smoke cleared.

At that point, the bloodthirsty General de Latte suggested we begin Turn Ten.  However, I countered that he had effectively decimated my front line already and was poised to turn both of my flanks in Turn Ten.  I conceded the game, waived the figurative white flag, and we shook hands following a celebratory photograph for which Young Paul informed me that he displayed his 'evil face' rather than a more pleasant smile for the camera.

Well, what else is there to say?  Paul and I enjoyed our game immensely.  In the heat of battle, time just seems to fly by, which strikes me as the best sign of all that we enjoy ourselves.  The rules seem to work reasonably well thus far, pleasing the two of us at least.  And we are planning another game for January 2nd.  Possibly a small wagon train ambush, or maybe a raid of some kind?  

Meanwhile, The Young Master has another Christmas Week Tae Kwon Do Zoom seminar at 5:30 this afternoon with Master Fayett, and I get to pack up everything this evening after dinner.  As I say to The Grand Duchess when I manage to win a game of Scrabble (a rarity I assure you), "Loser cleans up and puts way the game!"  

For the record, she has won two out of three chess matches and a backgammon game during the evenings since Christmas Day. 

-- Stokes 

Comments

Aly Morrison said…
That looked like a lot of fun Stokes...

You are going to have to get used to this... the young have all the luck and the best dice throws...

It is however immense fun...

All the best. Aly
johnpreece said…
Thank you for that account. I have followed it every day and honestly it has been a source of real pleasure this Christmas when there have been few enough around. Congratulations to the Young Master, I believe you have a Napoleonic meteor flashing across your dull Seven Year War skies. I should start painting up French Imperial figures ASAP.

Interestingly some of your comments reminded me of the Charge! rules. Some criticise them for there excessive casualty rate as unreal but miss the point. A unit can really only be committed once to attack and if you make a mistake you pay instantly and with no fiddly redemption. A much more exciting battle in my opinion.
Happy New Year
John
Der Alte Fritz said…
I’ve enjoyed this game as it unfolded and could have predicted the victory of YMP. As Aly says, youth are blessed with good dice.

A long time ago someone told me it makes for a better game if you line ‘me up closer at the start of the game so that the shooting starts on the first or second turn. This advice might apply for convention games, I don’t recall.
tradgardmastare said…
Great game and a loud Huzzah for the winning general and army.
Pierre le Poilu said…
Thanks for sharing. The battle reports have been very enjoyable reading.

Pierre
A joy to read over the holidays. May you and your family have many happy days and good fortune in the year ahead and there after!
Khusru said…
Perhaps it's better to ask for terms before the battle commences when the armies are lined up for battle?
tidders said…
Enjoyed your report of the game as it unfold.

The dice will turn in your favour .... eventually ?
Matt said…
Thoroughly enjoyed your reports from the front!
Marvin said…
This won't do. This youngster is far too dynamic and decisive a commander!

Very much enjoyed reading about your fun.

Happy New Year!

Marvin
James Fisher said…
A great way to finish the year and wonderful to see the joy (and slight hint of smug satisfaction) on the young general's face!
Regards, James

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a