Skip to main content

Painting Preparation. . .


A couple of nice shots of horse with 'bay' coloration, basically black manes, tales, and lower legs.




And two of so called 'chestnuts.'


Getting everything ready on the ol' painting desk to begin applying the basic horse flesh colors this evening.  I've dug out my preferred tubes of Grumbacher and Winsor & Newton oils: Sepia, Burnt Sienna (erroneously referred to in a previous post as Burnt Umber), Van Dyke Brown, and Light English Red.  Most of the 36 horses will get a reddish chestnut coloring on bodies, manes, and tails.  Burnt Sienna and Light English Red are idea for that although I'll need to be careful with the Light English Red as it is very orange, so perhaps a bit of toning down with Van Dyke Brown will be in order before actually applying it to the model horses.  But looking at photographs and illustrations of horses will immediately show that variations abound. 

I also recall reading somewhere years ago, and it was about Napoleonic cavalry, that Chestnuts were the most common color for cavalry horses, hence my decision to paint most of my herd in this way.

Seven of the 36, though, are base- and undercoated in a subdued yellow.  And these are earmarked to become 'bays,' which will be sprinkled through the three-squadron regiment once everything has been finished and glossed.  For them, I will use the darker, less reddish Van Dyke Brown and Sepia varieties of brown.

I actually find myself eager to start this evening.  As with most painting projects, the early steps are fairly easy no-brainer processes where one does not have to think too much as they happily apply to their subjects.  The only tendency I have, and must remain aware of is to avoid loading my brush with too much paint, which will make the process of wiping off the oils messier than it need be and risks allowing less of the colored undercoat to show through the glaze, defeating the whole purpose.  You can always go back and add more oil paint if you want, but it's difficult to remove if you go too heavy from the outset. 

Wish me luck.

-- Stokes

Comments

Its good that you are excited by your painting task Stokes. I must admit I found painting horses using the oils wipe off method enjoyable. I think it was I didnt know what would occur, sometimes they need re painting other times they produced something really pleasurable.We're a funny lot really.
warpaintjj said…
Have fun!
I always find that we paint model horse how we wargamers "think" horses should look as opposed to how they actually look so getting some reference photos like this is vital. I fondly recall your attempt at a dappledegray mount...
Keep us posted Stokes. Best wishes,
Jeremy
You don't need luck, you have skill!
Thank you for your kind words of encouragement, gentlemen. And Jeremy? You're also forgetting my attempted 'piebald' horse for a hussar trumpeter some years back. He came out looking more mangy than anything else, though a few remarked that they liked the results. They may have been being polite I suspect. In any case, it's always an experiment anytime we try something new in our painting.

Best Regards,

Stokes

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a