Skip to main content

Time to Quit Fooling Around. . .

The almost finished Hanseatic flags and standard bearers in question.  These were the town flags for Bremen (L.) and Elbing (R.). I like them very much, and so borrowed both into my semi-fictitious setting.  They strike me as just the thing for a regiment based on the infantry of the period from Hamburg, Bremen, and Luebeck.


I finally got down to business this afternoon and painted two Hanseatic flags, which will, after glossing, join my 60-strong regiment of RSM95 Hanseatic infantry that I completed back in, oh, late 2011 I think.  They still need a couple of coats of acrylic gloss, but I'm calling them almost done save for a few final touch-ups.  

This (Saturday) evening, I managed to return down here to Zum Stolenkeller, where I assembled two Minden Austrian guns that have been floating around here since 2014 (?) and the two French 8pdr. guns given to me this Christmas by the Grand Duchess.  I also glued a number of artillery tools into the hands of several French, but soon to be Lauzun's Legion, gunners.  All in all, not a bad way to get back  into the painting and modelling chair after too many months away.  Onward and upward as they say.

-- Stokes


Sunday Morning. . . 

Thank you everyone or your kind comments about the flags above.  I typically copy files culled from the web into MS Word, resize, print, cut out, and attach them to flagpoles.  Then, I carefully paint in my own colors and try to add some subtle highlights here and there before glossing everything.  It is not a fast process by any stretch.  

This morning, however, I am fired with enthusiasm, and if I can get through preparations for Monday's class quickly enough, I hope to return to the painting table to tackle another pair of replacement flags that have been sitting around for a year now.  Time to get these done!  I can then move on, in good conscience, to all of the cavalry waiting in the wings.  Yet more painting backlog that should have had considerably more attention during 2017.



Still tinkering with online photo editing tools via Pixlr (Photoshop Elements is better, and I really need to purchase an updated version).  This time, I have used Pixlr's 'Sharpen' and 'Denoise' to get a finer, better defined photograph of ol' Fred and his good buddy von Seydlitz.

Comments

Der Alte Fritz said…
Nice looking flags!
Wellington Man said…
Very nice indeed, Stokes!
I'm also in a rather shame-faced catch-up mode,
WM
Steve J. said…
I must admit I do love those flags; very fetching. Looking forward to seeing them with their respective units.
tradgardmastare said…
I really like the standards and look forward to seeing them lead some troops into battle. Perhaps a parade through your Baltic town ( surrounded by cheering citizens) is in order?
Alan
Duke of Baylen said…
These are very attractive flags
Anonymous said…
A great idea to use the Hanseatic League flags and they look good too. I hope you'll post a picture of them with their regiment. Great stuff.
Simon
marinergrim said…
Like those a lot. Very nice and, as you say, quite 18th century in appearance.
tidders said…
Lovely flags

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a