Skip to main content

An Interesting Find. . .

Apparently, the above illustration shows how a Prussian cavalry squadron appeared on parade during the late 17th and 18th centuries.  Battle formation was similar, but the distances between files were closed up if I understand correctly.  Anyway, this is interesting because of where the officers, trumpeters, and standard bearer are placed.  Note that they are not all together.


Thought that I would share this here.  I came across the above illustration of a Prussian cavalry squadron yesterday while trying some German search terms  -- 'fahnen' and 'standarten' -- on Google.  Looking for possible information on Wurttemburg and Bavarian cavalry flags you understand. 

One sometimes turns up unexpected new things online by trying another language for searches, something I learned 20+ years ago when I had a job in the Geography Library at the University of Wisconsin-Madison.  During the 1995-96 academic year, my boss put me in charge of finding out all I could on several hundred Slavic language books, left to the library by a retired Geography professor.  

I used an early version of WorldCat, which at the time had restricted access and was pre-Windows.  Remember that?  It was a fascinating job in any case.  Using a transliteration guide, I worked with books written in Russian, Ukrainian, Bulgarian, and Georgian of all things, as well as the odd title in German and Finnish.  The precise task was to uncover and summarize as much as I could about the contents of each book beyond simple title, author, and date/place of publication.

Anyway, the point of this particular story is, play around when doing internet searches.  You never know what you might turn up by coming around the metaphoric house and entering the kitchen through the back door.  All kinds of interesting and unanticipated stuff turns up.

But what of the 30 RSM95 French heavy cavalry in bearskins?  After a bit of trumpeter repositioning yesterday evening, everything is glued down, flagpoles have been glued carefully into the hands of the two squadron standard bearers, and base-coating can commence later today.

-- Stokes

Comments

Rob Young said…
Back in days when I was a Research Chemist I had a weird understanding of writen German... my main reference being Beilstein... so I could read technical German but put a newspaper in front of me and...
Wellington Man said…
I've only just cottoned on to that trick, Stokes, which has been vital for finding out anything useful about the obscure German regiments I've been working on lately. My German's coming along splendidly.
Anonymous said…
Its no good I'll have to start building again!! I do like the style of those.


โกเด้นสล็อต
สูตรบาคาร่า
Gclub จีคลับ

Popular posts from this blog

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a