Skip to main content

Happy Thanksgiving from the Quiet Grand Duchy of Stollen. . .

Not a very model soliderly photograph at all, and, sadly, not our dinner table this year either since most of our finer things remain in storage.  But maybe by Christmas?

Deathly quiet in recent months here at The Grand Duchy of Stollen without much to report.  We are still alive though.  The planned solider painting just has not happened due to extremely limited desk space, much of which has been covered with student papers and related course notes since classes began back on September 2nd.  Still, we have much else to be thankful for including the sale of our old house in Illinois, which closed yesterday and now belongs to someone else. . .  or rather their bank for the next 30 years.

Here in Michigan, we are waiting for our lender to issue a closing date for our own Totleigh-in-the-Wold, but that has been delayed by the long Thanksgiving Weekend.  We had hoped to hear on that early this week.  Sigh.  All desired repairs have, however, been carried out and given the A-OK by our house inspector, all paperwork from us has been submitted with all it the i's dotted and the t's crossed saying we the purchasers approve of said repairs.  With any luck at all, we can close shortly, move in just before Christmas, and get the first floor of the house squared away before Christmas Eve.  Cross your fingers and toes.  The Grand Duchess and I have had it with this blasted apartment into which the three of us have been crammed since the summer.

In the meantime, allow me to wish those of you who celebrate to have a happy and reflective Thanksgiving wherever you might find yourself today.  It ain't all just about the food and the NFL games.  While I may fret, grumble, and grouse about this and that, we indeed have much to be thankful for.  Goodness knows that there are plenty of people around the world in much more dire straights and in want of common necessities that I and many others take for granted from our relatively safe vantage point here in the United States.  When I stop and remember that, suddenly my own frustrations seem very small in comparison.

-- Stokes

Comments

tradgardmastare said…
A Happy Thanksgiving to you and ours from all at the Duchy of Tradgardland.
Fitz-Badger said…
Happy Thanksgiving to all in the Grand Duchy! And best wishes with the new residence by Christmas!
Pierre le Poilu said…
"Totleigh-in-the-Wold"....that had me scratching my head and talking to the PC..."I know that place, I know that place, where is it?" After a minute or so I had to give in and consult Google. The domestic setting for J & W.

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!