12 September 2011

Coming Soon. . . Minden Hussar Update

An 18th Century painting (ca. 1748) by David Morier, purporting to show grenadiers from Bavaria's Leib, von Seckendorf, and von Preysing regiments.  What's interesting is that the blue is quite dark, which seems to throw the issue of Cornflower Blue coats into question.  Might that particular feature have been a mid-19th Century innovation that has incorrectly been applied to earlier period uniforms?  Thanks Greg!


No photos just yet, but the next four hussars in the pile are nearing completion.  Just a few small details on the troopers plus the white markings, hooves, and reins/harnesses on the horses.  

In the meantime, have a look at these extremely useful tips on dressing well at the Put This On blog, a site dedicated to helping men dress like adults.  I have a look at this almost everyday, and while I knew the basics already thanks to my father and grandfather, I manage to learn something new each time I visit the blog.  It's a good read in any case.

4 comments:

Conrad Kinch said...

Huh. Subscribed.

tradgardmastare said...

I await visuals of the huzzars with enthusiasm and enjoyed the 18th century painting- stout fellows indeed!
Alan

Steve-the-Wargamer said...

I came from Britain & we don't have buttons on our vests so I'm lost already.... but they are sometimes made of string.... and sometimes you get matching Y fronts in the same material..... so far I've managed to avoid them, here's hoping that as I head into my dotage I don't succumb... yee gods, man, he calls a weskit a vest!

PS. :o))))

Funny Little Wars - Garden Campaigns said...

Thank you for the Bavarian picyure - I will be working on four x 54mm Battalions of Bavrarian infantry for a Lace Wars game and am struggling with the cornflower blue. I think I should go darker...

Paul

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...