Skip to main content

"I've got bugs crawling on my legs!"

The base edges require a bit of touching up for a fully finished look, but here is the first company plus the mounted colonel and regimental staff at the front.


Not really, but I have been wrestling with a computer bug during the last ten days for the third time in about six months, which means that the desk-top PC has been out of commission. . . AGAIN. So, I've had to do most of my computing via a laptop this week, and that complicates blog posting and uploading photographs a bit. In any case, here are two pictures of the first company of those Huzzah Miniatures, finished last Sunday. I haven't included the extra officers, NCOs, or drummers though. I mean, why have too much of a good thing?

The flag was fairly easy to do. I found a conjectured Wurtemburg standard through Kronoskaf/Project Seven Years War (link at lower right on this page), resized, printed, and trimmed carefully with an X-acto hobby knife and a metal ruler. Once it was glued carefully around the flagpole and shaped into some fairly plausible folds, I let it dry overnight. Sunday afternoon, while the Grand Duchess and Young Master Paul were on a walk, I next painted over all of the computer ink colors, using a #2 round brush and a #1 for the tiny central devices and golden lettering. I overpaint like this because computer inks not only fade with time, but they also run admirably when you apply acrylic varnish, er, floor finish (Future/Klear). It's fairly easy to paint over the colors already on the paper "flag" with a little practice however.

Now, for you detail freaks, who might immediately set out to visit the Kronoskaf website with the intent of checking my work, the actual Wurtemburg standards featured tiny sabres in their outter corners. I chose not to attempt painting those in though. Awfully small, tedious, and the regiment will serve as a fictitious unit in the Army of Stollen after all, so I didn't mind omitting that particular detail.

Finally, I have managed to sit down to the painting table for a little while the last couple of evenings and apply two coats of black basecoat to the next batch of 16 infantry figures. Since all of the company officers, NCOs, and musicians are painted already, the painting of these should progress reasonably quickly. I know, I know. . . Famous last words!



And for good measure, another photograph, taken from a slightly different angle this time. Not terribly shabby, and I'm rather pleased with the painting outcome even if this part of the unit took much longer than necessary.

Comments

Prufrock said…
Great to see you back on the hobby horse, Stokes! You had me a bit worried there for a spell. Latest unit looking very good, and your project as inspirational as ever.

Best,
Aaron
Very smart troops I must say.... and I share your pain over the computer bugs

(altho at least the bugs crawling over my body are all neatly moustachioed with elegant sashes ... ooops, who put the hallucinogens in with the analgesics again?)
ColCampbell50 said…
Stokes,

A very nice looking unit. It will surely brings tremors of fear from the Zitenauers and their nefarious allies.

Jim
Fitz-Badger said…
Excellent work! Nice uniforms.
Capt Bill said…
Handsome lads, indeed!!!
Mark Dudley said…
Very nice indeed. I got a couple of samples from Ian at fighting15s and the figures are very close match to original Spencer Smith figures in look and size.
Prince Lupus said…
I wish I'd read your comments on "Klear" and ink a couple of days earlier!
Anonymous said…
Stokes - Could I make a request please?
When next you make a flag, could you show it to us before you paint over the computer colours? Kind of "before & after" shots.
I'd just like to see the difference, because I use my computer printer to colour my medieval banners, but I don't paint over them later.

- Steve
tidders2 said…
Stokes,

nice to see you new unit progressing; lovely paintwork as usual

-- Allan

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a