Skip to main content

A special surprise is in the works. . .


Above, you'll see two newly basecoated figures, which many of you will recognize as Spencer Smith miniatures. What makes these two figures special is that they are not the newer metal figures currently available. . . Nope, these are vintage plastic Spencer Smiths, sent to me recently by my good friend in North Carolina, Jonathan Broadus (Thank you again, Jonathan!). It seems, Jonathan had a couple of spares in his collection that were in need of a good home.

So, in addition to the current second squadron of hussars that is in-progress over on the painting desk, I am painting these figures for the play-by-e-mail game that Jonathan and I will begin on Saturday, November 29th. These two lovelies will become the subordinate officers who command the advance guard of the Stollenian and Zichenauer armies respectively. And what uniforms might take shape before your eyes? Well, watch this space for further painting updates of these classic Spencer Smiths.

Comments

Bluebear Jeff said…
I'm looking forward to seeing them "in uniform".


-- Jeff
You're quite welcome, Stokes. I look forward to seeing how they come out. If you take extra photos, perhaps a little lesson on how you go about painting them might be fun, too. I still have to get around to trying to paint mine.
Bloggerator said…
Probably worth a few $$$, too, going on some recent, crazy ebay auctions...

Sell them, buy the cheap metals!

Greg

Popular posts from this blog

The 18th century? What's the Fascination?

Hessian musketeers by All the King's Men Toy Soldiers of Snellville, Georgia, U.S.A. Just a quick post post today, but I thought the above question might be interesting food for thought. Obviously, there is an array of possible periods, theaters, and conflicts that might catch our eyes. But what is it about the era 1700-1799 -- either real, or imagined? Is it the commanders and politics? The fairly straightforward tactics? The myriad of uniforms and flags? The variety and scope of the conflicts? The patchwork of various and sundry petty states, (at least in Central Europe)? I'm very interested to learn your thoughts. Don't be a lurker! Please leave a comment -- or even two or three. Have a nice day everyone!

An Early July Hussar Update. . .

  Marginally neater in appearance with green bases, girths, and ivory horse markings added, but I need to neaten up some hooves now before moving onto the rest of the tack. W here in the world did June go? While I still ponder the answer to that question, how about a quick painting update on the first batch of 14 Minden Austrian hussars and Nadasdy? Good.  I'm glad we are of a like mind. Still on the sloppy side, but I've managed to move things along, painting the green bases, white (ivory) horse markings, and beginning the miles and miles of tack adorning the various horses.  I always like to begin with the girths spanning the horses' ribs which helped hold the saddles in place.  Even with the figures mounted individually on temporary painting bases, these can be kind of tricky to access, but there we are. I've also used various Army Painter washes (Mid-Brown and Strong Tone) as well as their Speed Paint (Grim Black) to make the manes and tails of the horses a bit m...

And a few more photos. . .

Ok, here are a few of the 2nd Musketeer regiment in process during late-July and August. Enjoy!