Skip to main content

Surprised and Delighted. . .

About ten days ago, you’ll remember that I posted a message here asking if anyone might be interested in trading some Revell 1/72 SYW Prussians or Austrians for two sets of IMEX British artillery. Well, Bill McHenry of Texas – Sir William to many of us here and at the Old School Wargaming Yahoo group -- contacted me and asked if I might like a few extra troops he had sitting around . . . without a trade. I was stunned to say the least.

Anyway, Bill asked what I wanted/needed. Not wishing to come across as greedy, I asked whether he had about 30 Austrian dragoons (enough for a three-squadron regiment using Young and Lawford’s rules). “Yes,” replied Bill, and then he asked if I wanted some Prussian infantry too. “Hmmm,” thought I. . .


Well, to cut a long story short, the figures arrived today, and Bill included much more than I asked for. So, I now have enough Austrian dragoons to eventually form three full regiments of 30 figures each – plus a large squadron (15) of dragoons firing their carbines from the saddle. I’ll paint these as Jäger zu Pferd in green coats with red facings one day, much like the reenactors pictured above.


On the infantry front, Bill sent a whole bunch of Prussians, including drummers and officers/NCOs on foot. With what I already have here, I’ve been able to assemble these into a two-company battalion of Jäger zu Fu
β, a two-company battalion of pontoon troops (guess that I’ll have to make some balsa pontoons and bridge sections like Charles Grant’s), and a two-company battalion of engineers. And then there are a whole bunch of grenadiers plus other assorted infantry and a few extra horses, officers/NCOs and the like. Enough figures to keep me painting for quite some time in fact.

Bill, I want to thank you again for your kindness and generosity. There are too few like you in the world. On those rare occasions when I either experience, or hear about someone doing something like you have, simply out of kindness, well, it renews my faith in people. I and the entire cast of characters here at The Grand Duchy of Stollen send a hearty “thank you” for your wonderful gift.


And by the way, the figures did stand to attention and click their heels smartly together when I opened the package containing everything and set 'em up on the kitchen table. ;-) Here’s to your planned Big Battalion game in fall 2008. I’ll be following your collective planning and progress closely during the next year. Charge!

P.S.

Almost forgot to mention the neat letter that Bill sent along with the Revell SYW figures. Not only was it from the point of view of the plastic "mercenaries", but the letter was primarily written in German in an old-fashioned font. Very creative! The Grand Duchess and I had a great deal of fun reading through it together as I prepared dinner Friday evening, and it's something I'll keep in the binder where I have other items relating to military history/wargaming. Thank you again Bill!

Comments

abdul666 said…
Great news'
" now have enough Austrian dragoons to eventually form three full regiments of 30 figures each – plus a large squadron (15) of dragoons firing their carbines from the saddle. I’ll paint these as Jäger zu Pferd in green coats with red facings one day.": 4 new cavalry uniforms to discover for the 'aficionado'!
" I’ve been able to assemble these into a two-company battalion of Jäger zu Fuβ, a two-company battalion of pontoon troops (guess that I’ll have to make some balsa pontoons and bridge sections like Charles Grant’s), and a two-company battalion of engineers." and 3 new 'foot' uniforms!

Your painting is *great*, but to keep us 'satisfied' in the meantime, what about using David's templates to show us how you intend to dress these 7 new units?

And... Stollenians or Zichenauers?

I take this opportunity to ask a question about the eventual 'nationality' of one of your units:
on july 04 you posted your 'Uniform Design for Grenadiere zu Pferd'"for the eventual uniform of the Spencer Smith/Holger Eriksson cavalry so kindy recruited by the Grand Duchess Sonja." - and a very pleasant uniform it is. But what of your Imagi-Nations will this regiment serve? The colors echo those of the Stollenian flag, but previous posts suggested these horsemen were intended to be Zichenauers?

Jean-Louis
Hi Jean-Louis,

Thank you for your interest and continuing support. The Spencer Smith/Holger Eriksson regiment will indeed serve the Electorate of Zichenau although the orange and light blue uniform colors are also the Stollenian national colors. It's just one of those strange incongruities of an imaginary universe!

Best Regards,

Stokes
Frankfurter said…
Congratulations:
May I express my complete and abiding envy at your good luck!
Enjoy them and hopefully play with them a long time.

:)
Arthur
MurdocK said…
Superior!

It would appear that your recruiting process is going better than anticipated.
Stagonian Jeff said…
I've long found that there are a very generous supply of wonderful gentlemen in our hobby.

This is hardly the first time that I've heard of a kind gesture like the one Sir William has made. It is one of the aspects of our hobby that is so refreshing.


-- Jeff
Gentlemen please,

As that fellow who copied Bacon's work once said, "It's Much Ado About Nothing!" Due in large part to another gamer's generosity, here I was with more Cavalry than my tiny Duchy could possibly provide fodder for (especially since those Zvezda Lads have joined with the cuirasses and large steeds!), and a huge encampment of those vile Prussian expatriots, just drinking all the beer, eating strange foods and passing the most foul odours into the air at the most inopportune times.

What was I to do? Especially after their elected Colonel-commanding came to me with a request to help find his lads a new home? I simply agreed to countersign a very formal letter of introduction the fellow had written, and offer a small sustenance to defer their travel expenses. I do have a good feeling about these lads though, and feel that they'll give Sir Stokes loyal service if they simply receive a good home, which I assured the Colonel that Sir Stokes and the fair Lady Sonja would provide.

Sir William
Der Alte Fritz said…
At first I had thought that you had somehow managed to trade some plastic figures for the real ones shown in the picture. :)

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a