Skip to main content

Any Favorite Old Magazine Articles?

I was thinking about yesterday's post during the drive to school this morning and realized that I also revisit certain favorite articles from time to time. Yes, there are a few pivotal articles in my collection of old Miniature Wargames and Wargames Illustrated magazines that fire my imagination (thank you Mick and Keith) again and again. Surely, it must be the same for many of you.

Off the top of my head, there are two articles that appeared in Minature Wargame #6 and #7 by a guy named Mark Clayton called "Tolstoy and Morale". Any of you remember these? In a nutshell, Clayton used his reading of Tolstoy's War and Peace as a basis for simplified morale rules for Napoleonic era games. At the time, I found these so stimulating, that I decided D&D was no longer that interesting (I was about 16-17). Within days, my new passion became Napoloeonic figures, gaming, and history, and I've never looked back.

Never ended up actually using Clayton's morale rules in a game, but I still revisit his articles 2-3 times a year to refresh my memory and to mine his approach for interesting ideas. Come to think of it, with a little reworking, Clayton's framework might just work for battles between Stollen and The Electorate of Zichenau. . .

The other two articles I reread a couple of times a year appeared in Wargames Illustrated in February and July 1989 respectively. Patrick Burke, a professional illustrator from Maryland, USA, described his approach to transferring the Avalon Hill boardgame Waterloo to the tabletop, using 15mm miniatures in the first article. In the latter, Burke detailed his painting technique. Both articles featured various close-up photos of his finished figures displayed on the table top.

Needless to say, I was instantly captivated. Why? Well, anytime someone discusses painting techniques, it's an interesting read. But when those same techniques and the rationale behind them are presented against the backdrop of Waterloo-era Napoleonics -- Well, I'm almost beside myself with joy! Particularly since Burke used many of the same 15mm ranges that I was painting at the time -- MiniFigs, Battle Honours, Jacobite, Essex, etc. I did not try to copy Burke's painting style, but I'd like to think that my own techniques improved considerably as I worked on subsequent units of troops. Anyone know anything about Mr. Burke? To my knowledge, he never published anything else on the subject, and Google hasn't turned up any new information on him.

Finally, there was an article extolling the virtues of 18th Century wargaming by C.S. Grant in the 1983 Miliary Modelling extra issue entitled "Battle", or something close to it, that I periodically dig up and enjoy. As you might expect, Grant Jr's writing style and description of table top actions just leave one bristling with enthusiasm for the period and its campaigns. No surprise there!

There are a number of other articles that I can think of, but I was not good about hanging onto many of my old Couriers and Miniature Wargames. Sad to say, I foolishly thinned these out several years ago, before moving to Norway to continue my graduate studies in the late 1990s. Wish I hadn't done that now.

But enough about me. What about you regular visitors to The Grand Duchy of Stollen? Do you have any favorite old wargaming magazine articles from years passed that you revisit time and again? I'd like to know.

Comments

That sounds like a really interesting article Ed! Thanks for your comments. Know where I might be able to trrack down the article?

Best Regards,

Stokes Schwartz
That sounds like a really interesting article Ed! Thanks for your comments. Know where I might be able to trrack down the article?

Best Regards,

Stokes Schwartz
Bluebear Jeff said…
Stokes,

I've sent you an email about this.


-- Jeff
Anonymous said…
Too many really. Most vivid ones are the series by Mark allen.

One on Louis XIV army complete with illustrations.

Second one on how he collected, organised and based his army for the Grand Alliance. Beautiful figures, terrific ground work and an inspiration to go out there and do it.
Bluebear Jeff said…
Yes, I've got a number of Mark Allen's articles that I xeroxed too. Good stuff.


-- Jeff
Ah, yes -- Mark Allen and how he crafted his army of The Grand Alliance. I remember the article(s) well. Yes, extremely impressive painting and modelling, to say the least!
Captain Nolan said…
I too am a fan of the Burke article about Waterloo. I was enamored with the idea of doing something similar, but none of the folks I game with (at that time) were interested. They would say things like "6 miniatures representing a battalion, what a rediculous idea, why not just play a boardgame." Then, a few years later along came DBA, and they all jumped on the bandwagon ?!?!?

How can I get a copy of the articles you mention?

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a