Skip to main content

A July Painting Challenge. . .

The current painting project and challenge for July.  Can I get the 33 Minden figures and one horse all painted, glossed, and based by the evening of the 31st?

As many of us do, we let our minds wander while doing mind numbing tasks. . .  Like slopping on the white/black/gray basecoat with a large brush, which sometimes seems to be endless even so.  I've never gotten the hang of spraying the blasted stuff onto the figures.

Anyway, as I finished up the final six of the composite grenadier unit shown above late this afternoon, it hit me like a bolt out of the blue.  Why not challenge myself to paint one item a day for the 31 days of July and see how far I manage to get?  

So, since some things take longer than others, I will not set myself a time limit, but rather make the pledge to paint just one part of the figures per day, two if things go quickly.  There are 33 figures and a horse here.  Is it possible for me, Uncle Glacial, to get these done or almost done in one month of painting?  Let's see.

By the way, if any of you care to throw your own hat in the ring, please feel free to do so.  We can help keep each other on task, toast our triumps at the end of 31 days, or, as the case may be, drown our sorrows together should we fail in the collective endeavor to get more miniatures painted more quickly.

Tomorrow evening, the fleshtone and undercoat for the horse.

-- Stokes


P.S.
I don't know about you, but I find the recently renamed Citadel paints less than stellar.  It took three coats of Warboss Green to cover the white gesso base on the figures above.  The former Goblin Green, which I've used since 2006, used to do in in a single coat, darn it!  Anyone else out there have this frustrating experience?

Comments

I use mainly Vallejo but am wondering about GW 'contrast' paints meant to cover in one coat !?
Ed M said…
An impressive task--as a slow painter myself, I can understand the challenge, particularly with 18th century or Napoleonic uniforms!

At least I don't have the paint issues to slow me down. I've never switched from enamels, which were the standard when I began painting in the distant past. They are messier up front, which is slower than acrylics, but the coverage is never an issue (except for some yellows, mainly).

Good luck!
My Dear Heinz-Ulrich, Greetings!

The recent spate of warm weather has actually been a blessing as the staff have been able to open up the house and give it a rather needed airing. I am awaiting delivery of a few odds and ends but have also continued my painting activities.

These endeavors have taken a slightly earlier consisting of mainly regiments of foot for my ECW army. The gentlemen with whom I play on Friday nights seem to like the break from our more usual gaming activities.

In order to keep my production up I have continued to use acrylics like Vallejo and Coat d'Arms paint which provide decent coverage and are rather quick drying. I've combined both brush priming with a rather faster use of spray primers of different brands. With the warm weather they dry quickly outside.

We all hope to hear more from you in the near future. All the very best to you and the noble family,

Gerardus Magnus
Archbishop Emeritus

Popular posts from this blog

Presenting the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere!!!

Here they are, with the rearmost nine figures still drying, three squadrons of the Anspach-Bayreuth Kuirassiere, now in the service of the Grand Duchy of Stollen. And now, it's onto that artillery!

Taking Stock Part II: The (As Yet) Unpainted but Planned OOB. . .

  Two companies of Reichsarmee grenadiers painted back in 2017 or 2018.  Minden Austrians of course. A lovely early autumn day here in the grand duchy.  Bright sunshine and a light breeze with cool temperatures will make for some very pleasant late afternoon lawn mowing in a little while.  But first a bit more discussion of painting plans for the future. Last time, I looked back at the various and sundry units, support troops, and civilians that I've managed to paint in the last 17 years as the Grand Duchy of Stollen project has developed.  So today, let's look into the seemingly bottomless Drawer 'o' Lead to my left for a clue to the new direction.  Be forewarned, it's not going to be a quick job getting everything painted and based, but there we are. The following plans are based on the pile of unpainted figures already here.  Any future purchases will be limited to small things that might be needed to fill out the envisioned units (the odd few officers mounted o

Having a "No Day". . .

  F or the almost 20 years that she lived in Mexico, one of my late mother's Irish friends frequently mentioned having a "No Day."  A day with no social obligations, chores, tasks, or other work that interfered with whatever personal interests took one's fancy on the day in question. Since today -- a gray and chilly Saturday -- is Mom's birthday, the Grand Duchess is out with friends, and the Young Master is ensconced on the sofa in the TV room with a cold, yours truly is taking his own such No Day.  I think Mom would approve of my decision to make the world go away, as the old Eddie Arnold song intoned, even if only for a little while. So, I will spend Saturday afternoon focused on that first squadron and small regimental staff of Eureka Saxon cuirassiers.  These have stood waiting  untouched over on the painting table for almost three weeks while we skied and otherwise gadded about with snowy, winter outdoor activities. I hope to share a painting update Sunday a